The Cottonwood Baptist Church was founded by a group of German immigrants moving to this area to begin a new life in a new land. The year was 1884, and the times were hard. The new settlers had many adversities to overcome, but their tenacious character, coupled with their strong faith in God, allowed them to overcome many obstacles and become successful in their endeavors. As they worked the land and reared their families, they longed to have their own organized church through which they could worship and serve the Lord.
On March 4, 1884, the birth of Cottonwood Baptist Church became an historical fact. At first, they did not have a building in which to meet for prayer and worship. Therefore, they met in different homes for prayer, edification, and the study of God's Word. For three years, the church continued to minister and evangelize. In November, 1887, the church voted to build a church building and raised $177. It was not until August, 1888, that the congregation decided to build. and in October of that year, the building was completed. The church now had a building in which they could meet. A picture of the first building is not available, but the dimensions were 35' x 22' x 12'. As the church continued to grow, the original building became too small to accommodate the crowds. The second building was dedicated in July of 1900. With additional space, the church grew under the leadership of several pastors until the building was once again to small.
On April 14, 1929, the third building was dedicated. It was a beautiful red brick building complete with a basement which was used for classes. This building was destroyed by fire on November 13, 1942, having served the congregation for only thirteen years. With World War II in full force, it was difficult to raise the needed funds or locate a competent contractor. But, as usual, God answered the prayers of the people and construction began on April 19, 1943. With dedicated labor from the congregation, construction was completed late in 1943. The Cottonwood Baptist Church continues to meet in what is known as the fourth building.
With continued growth, the education and fellowship space became rather limited, so the congregation voted to construct an 8,000 square foot multipurpose building. In 2006, the church borrowed $330,000 to finance the new edifice. The loan was for eight years and in only four years, on December 5, 2010, the church enjoyed a time of celebration and praise as the note was retired. This was another example of how the people of Cottonwood pull together and bring to fulfillment the promises of the Lord.
The future of Cottonwood depends on two factors: God's will and our obedience. Undoubtedly, God had plans for this congregation in 1884, and because of the faithfulness of God's people, He has richly blessed. It is going to be exciting to see where the Lord leads in the coming years. The faces of the congregation change from year to year, but the character, commitment, and courage of her members continue to be strong. As new members continue to join, we shall always draw from the influence of those who preceded us and followed God's leadership in founding what we know and love today as Cottonwood Baptist Church.
WHO WE ARE
Cottonwood is grateful for our strong heritage which taught us to rely upon the Word of God as our guide for daily living and final authority in matters of doctrine and church polity.
Cottonwood has remained strong in offering guidance for all ages by providing groups and classes for children, youth, and adults.
CBCY is our youth group consisting of grades 7-12. Our youth director plans different activities designed to lead the youth into spiritual growth.
Our Sunday School is designed with every age group in mind. Our teachers use the lessons to guide in spiritual growth.
Discipleship Training is a “cafeteria style” program consisting of theme study, Bible study, and how to develop a closer walk with God.
Our music program is exceptional. We have gifted and talented accompanists who are leaders in worship. Our choir presents gospel music on a regular basis that is outstanding and uplifting.
Our worship services are warm and inspiring, punctuated with glorious worshipful music and challenging messages by our pastor.
A nursery is provided for infants and toddlers, enabling you to enjoy a time of worship. A qualified worker will attend the little ones.
Pastor - Bro. Stephen Stanford
Youth Directors - Cody Cagle
Deacon Chairman - Mike Wedemeyer
Music Director - Mike Wedemeyer
Choir Director & Keyboard - Pending
Organist - Connie Wedemeyer
Pianist - Mari Wedemeyer
Guitarist - Randy Fewell
Children's Director - Janie Groth
Sunday School – 9:00
Morning Worship- 10:00
Christian Training – Pending
Evening Worship – Pending
Prayer Meeting and
Youth Wow Service - 7:00
890 FM 2643
Lorena, Texas 76655